Thu January 23, 2014
Welcome To The Edge: NPR's Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Blog
Originally published on Fri January 24, 2014 1:25 pm
Today marks the start of The Edge, a blog hosting NPR's coverage of the Sochi Winter Games. The Edge is about the journeys Olympic athletes take to get better. From skaters to skiers, no two journeys are alike. But they all end at the same place: in competition. And many of them are fascinating.
As we've prepared for the games that begin Feb. 6 — in just two weeks — NPR has been following many stories of athletes and equipment, of money and security.
During the 17 days of the Olympics, we'll bring you the most interesting things we see and learn — and we hope you tell us what you're seeing, too. You can follow us on Twitter, and you can track your favorites on our handy list of U.S. and other Olympians.
We've collected some of our recent stories, to give you a sense of what's to come:
- 7 Facts And 3 GIFs: Hellooo Curling
- A Baby Didn't Bump These Moms Out Of Competition
- Golden Or Not? Tell Us What You Think Of New U.S. Olympic Uniforms
- Twin Toilets In Sochi: Some Wonder Why That's A Big Deal
- Zen And The Art Of Snowboarding: Jamie Anderson Goes To Sochi
- How Will NBC Cover Gay Issues During Sochi Olympics?
- Online Donors Send Jamaican Bobsled Team To Sochi
- Aerial Skiing Is A Game Of Skill — And Strategy
As the Olympics get going in earnest, our stories will come from two main sources: NPR's reporting team that's going to Sochi, and our U.S. staff. That means that in addition to events in Russia, we'll be sure to touch on how we're watching the games and following them online.
If you're still thirsting for stories about the Olympics and can't wait for the Opening Ceremony, here's more of the people and events we've covered in recent weeks:
- U.S. Biathlete Gives Up Olympic Spot To Her Twin Sister
- For A Better Bobsled, Team USA Turns To Race Cars
- Lake Placid: An Incubator For Winter Olympians
- Is The Color of Hockey Changing?
- After Tragedy At 2010 Games, Sochi Slows Down The Sled Track
- Sibling Snowboarders Hope To Reach Olympics At The Same Time
- 31-Year-Old Hopes To Ski Past Her (Younger) Competitors
- Sochi-Bound Brian Hansen Maintains Speedskating Routine